Sunday, February 27, 2011

How do you motivate your students?

This blog is an excercise used for EDM 510 Microcomputing Systems in Education. This blog will be used for you to share an idea of student motivation. Let's face it sometimes children get so bored in the classroom. Do you have a special trick or way you get your students motivated? If you don't have students, do you know a way to get students involved in the classroom or get them excited about learning?

10 comments:

  1. I personally use as much energy as I can when I teach. I think when children see that you are excited about learning they will be to. Teachers can do several things to motivate students but I think it all depends on your actions and enthusiasm when you teach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've been its out of the classroom so long its hard to say. With my own children I do know when the teacher is enthused the students seen more interested in the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think students get bored or space out at times because they physically need to get up and move around some times. I had the opportunity to student teach with an amazing kindergarten teacher who had a regular practice of yoga throughout the day. The students also meditated at times as well. The students said this really helped them and the their academic performance certainly reflected that she was doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are several things I do to motivate my students, however, because I teach elementary art, I rarely have to get my students excited about doing art. I have a great job, they are excited the moment I walk through the door. To motivate my students, I demonstrate what they will be doing and show several examples of finished pieces to help stir their imaginations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think when students are involved in units that make a connection to their world, they are more likely to be interested and more likely to learn. When I taught the gifted classes, we did a project called "BizWorld". This project involved all subjects and the students were so excited and learned so much. They got to create their own company, their own product, their marketing strategy, and sell the product. They had so much fun and really learned so much. I just think it is about making those connections.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that when students can connect the concepts to world issues and their lives, it is easier to get them involved. Also, I feel if the teacher is excited about the topic and show it to the students, they get excited to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel that the easiest way to spread enthusiasm is to be enthusiastic! If you stand at the front of the classroom, looking bored and uninterested in your own material (and be honest, we've all had at least one teacher like that, if not more), then how can you possibly expect your students to be excited. Other times, I tried to include games or songs into my lessons to help keep their attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you all. I have used songs, dances, and games to motivate my students. I think school needs to be fun. The children enjoy it more and look forward to coming when they are excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Acting like you are super excited about a subject and you are interested in the subject more than anything may annoy the students, but they will have a spark of interest nonetheless. Also, letting the students have an input in the lesson plan and activities associated with that unit will make them feel more significant. When they have an input, they feel responsible for doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have to say that my students love to compete with each other. Whenever I set a goal we always find some way to make it a competition. My students also love, love, love, candy. They would do anything for candy! I think that students are most motivated when they are doing something that they enjoy so, let them get a special book or have them do a project how they feel most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete